Case Study: Voices Against Brain Cancer
Building a Nonprofit From the Ground up
The Lichtenstein Family approached Darren Port, Founder & CEO of Powered by Professionals (PBP), during the summer of 2005 to help them start an organization in memory of Gary Lichtenstein. Gary was their beloved son and brother who lost his valiant battle with brain cancer on October 1, 2003, at the age of 24, just seven months after he was diagnosed. With the help of Powered by Professionals, the Lichtenstein Family successfully founded Voices Against Brain Cancer (VABC) whose mission is to find a cure for brain cancer by advancing scientific research, increasing awareness within the medical community, and supporting patients, their families, and caregivers afflicted with this devastating disease.
PBP helped the Lichtenstein Family build VABC from the ground up. VABC held its inaugural fundraising gala, Sounding Off For A Cure, in 2006. In its first year, the event raised $260,000 and had 400 guests in attendance! By 2012, with PBP’s support and guidance, VABC had a dedicated committee, a knowledgeable Board of Directors, and a reputable Medical Advisory Board comprised of doctors from all over the country. The organization, with no full-time staff, is raising awareness and funds (nearly 2 million dollars annually) through events held nationwide by outsourcing operations to PBP. Sounding Off For A Cure (held annually in New York City) was their largest fundraiser with the annual event raising nearly $850,000 and over 1,200 guests attending.
“Powered by Professionals has instilled a winning formula that ultimately made our vision of creating a charity a reality and has allowed us to carry on the legacy of my brother Gary. They have prepared me and my family for all of the ups and downs of running a charitable organization with their clear and concise operating plan. Without PBP it would never have been possible.” - Eric Lichtenstein, VABC Co-Founder
- Join The Voices! Against Brain Cancer Annual Run/Walk in Central Park, NYC with 8,000 registered runners/walkers and $500,000 raised
- Inaugural Sounding Off For A Cure in Miami, Florida
- 2011 ING New York City Marathon - VABC was a Charity Partner, with 10 runners using VABC spots to raise close to $50,000
- Two Run/Walks (organized utilizing a fundraising tool developed by PBP that enables nonprofits to empower and engage volunteers nationwide through run/walk events)
- Create Footprints to Cure Brain Cancer Walk in Washington, DC
- Run for Rob on Long Island, organized by Roslyn Bernstein, VABC Board Member, in memory of her husband Dr. Robert Bernstein – drew a crowd of over 300 people and raised about $100,000!